Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Update--7/22

We were called last evening and our ultrasound was pushed up to this morning! No time to worry, not that I do that anyway ;)

Going into the ultrasound my prayers were that baby girl would show signs of strength and have a bigger stomach. I didn't pray for the fluid to go down, because really that is a done deal.

It was very comforting to know that today is a day of prayer for our church and everyone was praying for us, even though they had no idea I was going in for my ultrasound this morning.

We started with a fluid check. I have 41 cm of fluid! That is up about 10 cm from 2 weeks ago. Normal is 15-25 I think. No wonder I am getting so uncomfortable. Like I said, this was not too surprising, since I can barely bend over and we knew there was a fluid problem. Of course, this is not a reassuring sign, since it is following the same pattern as Ellie's pregnancy did. But we also know that extra fluid can mean nothing in and of itself.

But... Baby's stomach was the biggest they had seen in all of our ultrasounds so far. In fact the tech said that if it was her first time doing my ultrasound, or if she had seen a normal stomach earlier on, she would not have even mentioned the stomach, it was that close to normal. The doctor also said the stomach was the biggest he had seen so far on our baby girl. So that was very good news. We also saw some good movement during the ultrasound and of course everything else looks perfect-heart, brain, etc. And baby has lots of hair :)

We talked to him more about tone and movement, and he said that he has seen babies with no tone and our baby does not look like that. It is so hard for us to reconcile that with the other signs we are seeing, yet we are so reassured that even if there is swallowing problems there will possibly be better tone than Ellie has (which is none). With genetic problems like Ellie probably has, there can be greater and lesser severity as it plays out in each person. So, this baby could still have what Ellie has but have a lesser severity. 

So what is the plan? We are scheduled to do an amnio on August 10; I will be 37.5 weeks. We will be checking for lung maturity. If the baby's lungs are ready (I'm assuming they will be, since all my babies came around that early, with Ellie coming even earlier than that) the c-section will be a couple days later.

Baby will be checked immediately for a potential trachial-esophagus problem where the throat does not connect to the stomach (a possible cause of this whole mess). They will have to stick a tube down her stomach to see if it is connected. If that is the problem, we will be thankful that she is otherwise normal, but sad because she would need to have immediate surgery. So, kind of a lesser of two evils. Of course, there is also the chance that she will come out and need breathing support and be sick like Ellie. And the best case scenario would be a completely healthy baby. What a blessing that would be!

I am concerned that 37.5 weeks will be too late for the c-section, since Ellie came at 37.  I am afraid of this all going down before then as an emergency and out of control, but I will talk to my regular OB more about that on Friday.

So how are we doing with all of this? We are holding fast to HOPE in Jesus Christ. We praise God that we have not lost our faith in his loving plan and perfect salvation. We trust that we serve a loving God, as there is no greater proof of that than when we stand at the cross.

We have also felt the pain of a broken heart again and again. We cannot deny the hard times as well as the times where we feel supported or encouraged. But we do not go through the valley alone. We have been comforted by God's grace and the prayers of fellow believers. We cannot thank you enough for your prayers. I read the blog comments and emails over and over to gain strength each day.

27 comments:

  1. Vedra Family- We will pray that you will continue to look to God for all of your strength and that He will continue to supply for all of your needs. Praying for your little one and may you rest in the fact that He holds you all in the palm of His Hand. With love & prayers- VJ & Becky Verduin & family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vedra Family - Praise God for your humility and honest God Fearing faith. Know that He is using you and your family in so many ways and the Grace He is pouring out to US through you.
    This of course doesnt mean you have to be Strong, for our sake (We've felt that pressure too), however, just open to receive His strength and remaining in the HOPE you have today. You are absolutely beautiful, and Loved.
    I sincerely thank God for the day we met in Costco!
    Love,
    Tennille Benedict and family
    ***We continue to pray****

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad to hear this little one's stomach is growing! However I am praying for this little one that she will be healthy and strong! What a rollercoaster... I had extra fluid with our twins (TTTS) and got to be 43wks size when I was 5 1/2mths pregnant and it was VERY uncomfortable! I will be praying for you in that as well as I am sure that can be very difficult with little ones who depend on you! Hugs and many, many prayers as you continue this journey!
    Love in Him,
    Chuck and Laura Wiese and family

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blessings to you and your family! I thank God for being with you as you are dealing with all of these new stresses. I pray that you will continue to lean on Jesus for the support to get you through. Thank you for the updates. I will continue to pray for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is encouraging news! Will continue to pray for you all. Much love.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet Vedra Family, I am Nancy V's friend and she led me to your blog when Ellie was born. Since then I have been deeply inspired by your faith and commitment to the Lord. All of you and your little one are in my prayers. May God comfort and keep you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Fritzemeier FamilyJuly 22, 2009 at 9:13 AM

    Glad to hear this news, and we are praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We met at the Byron Center Library a couple of weeks ago. Know that I am praying for you and will continue to do so. Thank you for sharing your journey. May God richly bless you and your family in the coming days. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So nice to hear some encouraging news. I think of you all often and pray that things work out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sending you and your family many prayers from up here in Canada. Stay strong-you are never alone-
    hang in there-

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your faith sustains you, your community shares and prays with you, God is with you through the blessings and the challenges.

    I focus on the positive, with a wee bit of caution. So often things turn out denying our deepest fear, and filling us with untold joy!

    Loving all of you, Juliet

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are incredibly privileged to walk beside you no matter where the path winds, trusting the One onto Whose hand you hold fast.....

    With our love and so many prayers,
    the Hunters

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just wanted you to know we were praying yesterday even though we were unable to be with everyone in the evening. . . we will continue to pray - the Lord is bringing you to our minds constantly!! Kristin is right - it is a privilege to pray and walk with you all.

    Love,
    the Roberts

    ReplyDelete
  14. We are praying for you, that all goes well with this baby. I had extra fluid with Zeke (4 times what I should have had) and he was normal. I hope and pray the same with you. -Marleen Flood and family

    ReplyDelete
  15. What good news! Thanks for sharing. To think in less than a month you'll be holding Ellie's sister in your arms. What joy! Love and HUGS. Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aaron and Lisa BishopJuly 23, 2009 at 2:08 PM

    Dear Vedra's...we are friends of the Eshelman's and have been praying for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We love you.
    We love all your children.
    We will support you however we can, whatever the outcome.

    I have learned a thousand lessons from Ellie. She is a blessing to me.

    I do pray that this daughter is healthy. If she is not, I know that she will speak volumes of the message of Christ to all she encounters.

    You are doing a great job. I'm so sorry that you have to wade through this time of stress and uncertainty. It is coming to and end! Soon you will be living without that wonder. For that I am glad.

    Great to hang out this week!

    Love.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Vedra Family, You are in my thoughts and prayers daily. I appreciate reading your posts....you are such an inspiration! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the update- you all are constantly in m thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Praise the Lord for giving you and us HOPE!! God is Good all the time

    ReplyDelete
  21. As always you are in my heart and thoughts and I know this will be just another step for you to take to glorify....

    ReplyDelete
  22. Praying for you all!

    And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

    2 Corinthians 12:9-10

    Blessings, Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  23. Praise the Lord for a good update! Continuing to pray for you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Adam and Emily,

    I have been thinking of you guys a lot and have been praying for you. Emily, I'm sorry I didn't have much to say when I saw you at the book sale in June. I know you were going through uncertain times with the baby already then and I'm afraid I didn't know what words to say to comfort you. I think of you often and the time when we first met over at Dutton. A lot has happened in our lives since then, but I am so amazed at how you two have handled the trials that God has brought into your lives. You are definitely godly examples of trusting in God's perfect plan and His loving ways even when we don't understand them or have a hard time accepting them. Please know that God has used you to be an example to me. God is working through many small things you say and do in your journey with Ellie and this precious baby in your womb. Be assured of this.

    I will continue to pray for strength and peace and a continued trust in our Lord.

    Candace Bekkering

    ReplyDelete
  25. Adam & Emily and family,

    As you know I am Matt and Susan's sister/sister-in-law, and I just wanted to let your family know that since I was made aware of your blog from my mom several weeks ago I have been following along and catching up! First, let me say that you have an absolutely BEAUTIFUL family! The Lord is definitely good and knows what He is doing! I also wanted to let you know that you are all in my prayers daily and I'm praying for a healthy and safe delivery for your new little bundle of joy! I will also pray that you make it to your Amnio Emily so that you might have further answers before your 2nd little girl decides to meet all of you! I will pray for all or your continues strength and peace during this difficult time of waiting. What a mighty and powerful God we serve! Thanks for keeping all of us updated and letting us all know of specific things that we can pray for!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dear Emily,

    Praying for your family daily, especially for strength for you, healing for Ellie and a healthy baby.

    We have also asked our friends at church to pray for your family and several are also following your journey in this blog.

    Love, hugs and many prayers,

    Julie & Philip

    ReplyDelete
  27. Emily and family,
    We have been and will be praying. God is faithful. We pray he will set your family "high upon a rock."

    ReplyDelete