Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Ellie's Therapy

Ellie has been making "great" steps in therapy this fall. I put great in quotes because they are huge to us, but to the outside world may seem like nothing.

One thing that we are working on with her is using her hands to play and also to communicate. She has a "switch toy" that is a light-up toy operated by a switch that she touches. She is getting really good at it and also shows her joy and pride in her accomplishment.

This is important because if she can use a switch to play, it could move into using a switch to communicate and do even more sophisticated things. She could push a button for yes or no or even play computer games.

Here is the video:

7 comments:

  1. Looks pretty amazing to me...and I'm so glad you shared your excitement!
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the vid. It is so great to see her interacting with and manipulating her surroundings and feeling accomplishment from it. Did you happen to see the recent NYT article about how the ipad is finding an unexpected market as a learning and communications device among kids with limited speech/mobility? It sounded like something that might work for Ellie one day.

    Does she have better use of one hand over the other?

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! That's awesome, Em. God is certainly working through Ellie and all of you to do great things.
    Love and Hugs, Betsy
    ps. I think I would like to have one of those in my office--it's really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I needed a smile today. Thanks Ellie for giving it to me!

    ReplyDelete