Monday, December 1, 2008

My Helpers



"What great helpers you have!" is a common comment I get when I am out alone with the kids. And it's true: I could not get much accomplished without the help of the boys, especially Noah.

Today I went out to Costco with the kids to do a major grocery trip. I pull up into the handicapped spot and Noah helps Seth out of his carseat. Then Noah pushes Ellie in her wheelchair, while I push the cart and keep an eye on Seth. We always have to look at the toys first. And then the movies. Finally, we get down to business and quickly fill up the cart, Noah pushing Ellie along, with frequent stops to kiss her. We have to stop for lots of free samples, but Noah has gotten good at eating while pushing Ellie's chair. As we reach the checkouts, I am panicked to hear that Seth has to go to the bathroom. Thank goodness for Noah! He brings Seth to the bathroom while Ellie and I check out the groceries. Now it's time to get our treat: lunch at the food court. I push the cart full of groceries to a table, where the boys sit down and keep an eye on things. Ellie and I go stand in line and order our lunch. After all the food is accumulated, I catch Noah's eye and wave him up to the counter to help me carry the food while I push Ellie back to the table. Now it is time to feed Ellie her lunch. Noah runs to get me some napkins while I push in Ellie's food. After lunch, we head back to the van, where I load up Ellie and Noah helps me load the groceries. Another successful shopping trip! I could not have done it alone!

11 comments:

  1. oh noah, what a stud!

    i'm absolutely in love with those two little guys and their adorable sister - so blessed to have them in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Noah and Seth! You truly are your "moms" helpers. Emily - thanks for sharing your journey - I do check it frequently and we continue to pray for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I want to come to Costco with you next time! Your trip sounds much more exciting than ours. I still want to see Ellie in her wheelchair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. God's plan is perfect - he gave you two great helpers b/c he knew that you would need it. I'm sure that it doesn't hurt that you are a very capable mom who has taught her children well. Keep up the great work, it will always be rewarded.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I wasn't his Aunt, I'd think Noah was a teenager from reading this post! Reed has the same sweater vest as Noah, let's have them wear matching outfits to Christmas. They'll thank us for it. You are a rock star mom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hearing about your trips to Costco is enlightening. I would be completely overwhelmed! What an inspiration you are -- and your family too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Emily - that is precious. thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a marvelous son. It brought tears to my eyes that he has such a generous and helpful spirit AND that his mom had the sense to take time out to mention his gifts to the world.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, Noah! You are such a blessing, did you know that?

    Keep it up, Kiddo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing it. The boys are growing up so quickly. We also enjoyed reading about Ellie's food in your previous entry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know I feel that way with just two little boys--my oldest is quite the helper (as much as he can be at four)! That is SO sweet,especially Noah stopping to kiss Ellie- and what cute kiddos you have ;)

    ReplyDelete