Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Ellie's Diet

Here is the post I promised about Ellie's diet. Many of you have seen the green bottles of food we are feeding Ellie and have inquired about what she is eating.

When we were leaving the hospital, we asked them what we would feed Ellie after she was weaned off of breastmilk. (I couldn't envision pumping forever for Ellie!) They told us she would get a formula like pediasure for the rest of her life. I wasn't satisfied with that answer, so I started researching different options. I found a group of people online who were giving their children a blenderized diet of whole foods, and I knew that was what I wanted to do too. Why couldn't Ellie eat a diet of whole foods like the rest of us?

Ellie was slowly introduced to solids at around a year with yogurt and bananas. After I got a dietician on board with my plan, we introduced more foods over the last 2-3 months to where she is now-at her goal diet. As far as I can tell, Ellie is one of the first children in Grand Rapids to eat a blenderized diet through her tube--we love being the guinea pig :) Ellie is doing great on her diet and growing like a weed. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Here is how I make her food:
[caption id="attachment_224" align="alignnone" width="400" caption="The cast of characters"]The cast of characters[/caption]

fresh ingredients:
1/2 cup yogurt
2 Tbsp left over oatmeal
1 Tbsp flax seed
2 Tbsp wheat germ
30 grams raw spinach
1 Tbsp baby prunes

frozen in ice cube trays:
1 Tbsp banana
2 Tbsp pear
2 Tbsp chicken
2 Tbsp sweet potato
1 Tbsp avocado

Place the above ingredients in blender along with 12 ounces water.


Blend on high.


Add a total of 12 ounces of milk. Ellie gets 50/50 whole milk and breastmilk.


I add two multidophilus capsules and some salt and a multivitamin.


Blend again, then divide into Ellie's 5 meals. Each meal she gets the same amount of food.


Our little organic baby :)


Additional Resources:
http://www.mealtimenotions.com/HomemadeBlendedFormulaHandbook.htm
http://www.blenderizeddiet.com/

13 comments:

  1. whoa- that is pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic mom you are!!!! Keep up the good work. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! That's how I fed my little one, who was also tube fed. I remember everyone being so shocked, not understanding why I would go to all the trouble when I could have just given her formula. It was well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'll stick to the turkey!!! HAPPY THANKSGIVING

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That is amazing. I am so impressed! You are an amazing mommy, Emily! Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! It reminds me of the days of making Gabe's baby food. What is the salt for? Ellie is very blessed to have you for her mother.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! That's amazing...I agree with you, I don't think I could let my child eat Pediasure for the rest of her life! Ellie is likely much happier with this! :) And actually, it kind of looked good ;) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. no wonder she's so healthy!
    Great job, and I'm jealous of the Vita Mix! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lucky girl to have a mom that takes such great care of her. Most TF products are full of chemicals and fillers that she definitely doesn't need. Way to go Emily.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are such a great mom and Ellie is so lucky to have been born into a family like yours!!!! He diet looks good, healthy and what people should be eating!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You rock, my trailblazing friend! Is that one day's recipe, then? So you make the food every day? You're an awesome commercial for the VitaMix! =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so on-the-cutting-edge of things, Emily.

    I have such awesome trailblazing friends!

    Now then, if only I could eat so well... I wonder if that diet would work for a 30 something... :oD

    ReplyDelete