Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Ellie and Oxygen



A disappointing post to make. Sunday night, when Ellie woke up from her nap, she was really warm with a fever. We were able to reduce the fever with damp cloths and a little tylenol, but she was having a fair bit of difficulty keeping her O2 saturations at a good level. We had to use some of our emergency oxygen for about an hour. After she slept well that night, we hoped that would be the extent of it, but when she needed more oxygen the next morning, we made a visit to the doctor.

The good news is that her chest x-ray came back clear, so there is no pneumonia, but she does have an ear infection. They gave her an antibiotic for her ears. The only explanation for the oxygen is just that she has a weakened immune and respiratory system due to her neurological issues, so a virus can cause respiratory distress. Since she is still requiring 02 on and off, we had to have home O2 set up at the house. So, we now have a huge tank of oxygen to add to our hospital ward, and Ellie continues to need a boost of oxygen on and off.

We are so thankful that she is not seriously ill, but we are confused and disappointed at this sudden need for oxygen. Please pray for Ellie.

11 comments:

  1. I am praying for Ellie. She has proven to be a strong little girl. I am praying for a quick healing from her ear infection. I am thanking God that she does not have pneumonia. And I am asking God to give Ellie good saturation levels so she does not have to rely on O2.
    I am amazed at the strength of your family and faith as you care for all of Ellie's special needs.
    God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are glad that it was not more serious. We will continue to pray for her.

    On a brighter note: These O2 lounges are all the rage... just pretend you have your own Oxygen bar! :)

    See you this week sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Friends:
    After such a wonderful morning at church on Sunday, how disappointing to have things turn around so dramatically. We are thankful that things are not any worse, but still concerned that Ellie has a bug. We will be praying for her and for all of you.
    Love, Kristin and the Fam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying Ellie will heal soon and the tank can be sent away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. praying for Ellie and you all. Many hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always praying.
    Much love to our adorable little lady!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just want you to know I check in on Ellie every day & she continues to be in prayers. You too. :)
    Blessings.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  8. We hope Ellie is well soon. We would have loved to see her baptism, but were out of town at my sister's baby's "dedication". Baptism is so much more meaningful.
    Hope you all stay well, especially as Ellie heals. We have runny noses and I have a cold, so we can't stop by yet. Spring is coming next week (at least on the calendar)!!!:)
    Take care. Ethan and Seth pray for Ellie regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the other comment about the O2 bar. Now THAT is a positive perspective. :o)

    Thank God for metal containers. Thank God for stored Oxygen. Thank God you have access to it!

    Thinking of you these days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beth & Greg MillerMarch 11, 2008 at 3:06 PM

    I heard this tonight as I was doing the supper dishes, and I thought of your family. You are in our hearts and prayers tonight.

    JESUS, KING OF ANGELS
    by Fernando Ortega

    Jesus, King of angels, heaven's light,
    Shine Your face upon this house tonight.
    Let no evil come into my dreams;
    Light of heaven, keep me in Your peace.

    Remind me how You made dark spirits flee, And spoke Your power to the raging sea.
    And spoke Your mercy to a sinful man;
    Remind me, Jesus, this is what I am.

    The universe is vast beyond the stars,
    But You are mindful when the sparrow falls, And mindful of the anxious thoughts That find me, surround me, and bind me . . . .

    With all my heart I love You, Sovereign Lord.
    Tomorrow, let me love You even more.
    And rise to speak the goodness of Your name Until I close my eyes and sleep again.

    ReplyDelete