Saturday, October 13, 2007

Look mom no vent!



This morning Emily called the hospital to check in on Ellie and see how she was doing. Our nurse told Emily that they were going to try Ellie off of CPAP and see how she would handle it. I rushed over to the hospital to be there while she was off of the vent. When I got there she had already been taken off of CPAP and was handling the change very well! I held her for about an hour and a half and watched her vitals stay within the normal range. What a blessing from God!

The plan for now is that they will try her off of CPAP for three hours at a time and then check her blood gas. Blood gas is a measurement of oxygen and carbon dioxide levels in her blood and reveals how well she is handling the change. If her levels are good they will continue to wean her off of CPAP.

During the three hour period off of the vent Ellie has a collar around her neck that provides humidification to the air she is breathing.

When Ellie has her Gtube/Nissen surgery next Tuesday, they will have to go two steps back and have her on assisted breathing with the vent. This is because she will be under general anesthesia during the procedure. After the procedure she will be weaned off of support during her week of recovery.

Keep praying that Ellie will be able to breathe on her own with as little equipment as possible.

We give thanks to God for this positive step forward.

10 comments:

  1. Praise God! Our little girl is something else, isn't she?! I'm sending a special picture with Dad tonight. :) Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for Ellie!

    How incredibly complex something as "simple" as *breathing* is...and so many people, myself included, breath normally every day without often stopping just to thank God for it. So thanks, Ellie, for reminding me not to take something "little" for granted. And thank God that there are ways and means for Ellie to breath with low amounts of equipment! Praying for that to continue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in tears I am so happy to see that Ellie is breathing on her own. She looks stronger in the pictures.

    I am happy to see and hear about your new van as well. It looks really nice. I am sure you will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome News! Praise God! I will pray for continued strength and healing for beautiful baby Ellie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is awesome!!! Praying for excellent blood gas results the next few days!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AWESOME!!! I can't think of better news to check in on the Lord's day and read. Praise God!!

    ~Monica & the Mellen-Crandells

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praise God she is doing well without CPAP!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay, Ellie! I am so happy for you all. We really want to come see you sometime but Gabe is sick so we need to wait for him to get better. We were thinking of dropping by one of your church services. Which one do you guys go to?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay, how wonderful!!! Dad looks so happy.

    God bless you all

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Vedra family,
    Thank you for sharing your family's very personal journey. I believe God led me to your blog a few weeks ago. I was blog surfing which I don't normally do and through a link, your blog popped up. What a miracle your daughter is. The reason I am commenting is because I run a non-profit quilting organization in Grand Rapids and we would like to give your family a gift of HOPE. If you want to know more about us, please visit our website http://www.margaretshopeche... If you would like to accept a gift of a quilt, please e-mail me and we can discuss a way to organize this.
    I pray that God will continue to strengthen little Ellie.
    Carin Vogelzang adamvogelzang@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete